Sri Veeramakaliamman temple Singapore
Sri Veeramakaliamman temple, Little India is best place in Singapore with colorful architecture boasting rich Indian heritage and culture. Little India is past Indian migrant’s trade and community center. Indian Singaporean community call it as Tekka. It’s place to see blast of colors, hear sounds of bells, feel soft silks, smell spices fragrance and finally taste Indian delicacies. It has many heritage sites to show unity in diversity. Hindu, Muslim, Christian, Chinese, Buddhist cultural monuments.
There mainly 12 streets to roam and enjoy little Indian sub- continent. Deepavali festivals of light, Pongal and Indian new year are the main festivals to enjoy heritage trails.
1. Sri Veeramakaliamman temple
It’s goddess Veeramakaliamman temple a famous Singapore temple. With skull garland in her neck goddess threatens evil and with her blessing eyes fulfills devotees wishes. This popular south Indian architecture marvel is with 5 -tier main tower built in 19th century. It’s one of oldest Hindu temple in Singapore.
For History Sri Veeramakaliamman temple Singapore Visit official website – http://srivkt.org/
Hindu temples in Singapore – Little India
2. Sri Vadapathira kaliamman temple
This is Dravidian style temple dedicated to goddess. There are many sub shrines for Lord Shiva, goddess Lakshmi.
3. Sri Lakshmi Narayana temple
The main God in this temple is Lord Vishnu with consort goddess Lakshmi. The particular red and white pattern and domes attracts towards this 19th century temple. There are sub shrines for Lord Shiva and goddess Kali.
4. Sri Srinivasa Perumal temple
It’s a 18th century Lord Vishnu temple built by Hindu community. The 5 tier tower renovated in 197o. Lord Vishnu incarnations statue and colorful mythological statues on temple’s tower are special attractions.
- Most of temples opens at 6 – 12 am & 6 – 9 pm
- Remove foot wear while entering temple & wear decent dress.
5. Indian heritage center (Campbell road)
It’s cultural and heritage museum of Indian Singaporeans opened in 2015.
Heritage sites Little India Singapore map
Little India Guide more Heritage sites
6. Buddha temple (Race course road)
This temple is dedicated to Buddha with 1000 lights or bulbs. A Thai guru established temple in 19th century. The main attraction here is 15 ft beautiful Buddha statue with religious significance.
7. Former house of Tan Teng Niah
This is colorful Chinese business man house in the middle of Little India. This attractive building leads to nearby china town.
8. kampong kapor methodist church is established in 18th century & church of true light is another one to visit.
9. Abdul mosque
This mosque was built in 2003. The mosque was mixture architecture of Indian and Arabic styles with small pillars and arches.
10. Leong san see temple(Race course road)
It’s a beautiful Chinese goddess temple near to Thai Buddhist temple. Here Goddess is mostly worshiped by childless couple.
11. Gandhi memorial is also heritage place to visit.
Little India Shopping
12. Mustafa center must visit four level shopping mall opened 24 hrs. Foot wear to foreign exchange, electronic goods to jewelry every thing is available here. It was established in 1971.
13. little India Arcade is shopping mall with combination of number of shops best for shopping.
14. Tekka center is market place for food and shopping.
15. Tekka temporary market is a flea market with attractive colors and varieties.
Gayathri Sharma is travel enthusiast from India. Adventure lover, Travel blogger by profession.
She loves to write on Indian tradition and culture and always fascinated by Indian temples.Read some
good articles about Travel around the world from her website YatrasBlog.